Welcome.

Welcome to my first blog. It is being constructed for my ICS 691 course, which is an in depth look at Social Networking. I typically don't engage in this type of activity as I work, so it will be interesting learning about this stuff.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

1/15/09

Well, today I spent most of my study time reading. And figuring out how to get feeds to work. I am using MS IE so I somehow doubt I am using the most sophisticated tool, but it will get the job done.

I was able to read more of the "sociology" stuff. I thought the Web 2.0 Our Cultural Downfall? was an interesting read. The argument was well thought out and thought provoking.

I enrolled in Citizendium. I like the idea.

I really liked the Design Recommendations in the Blogging as Social Activity, etc. Having messed around with Blogger, I understood where these recommendations would be very handy and usefull.

3 comments:

  1. I keep forgetting that there are other online encyclopedias out there and consistently use Wikipedia (it's even an iPhone app--how convenient!). Has anyone else explored Citizendium, and if so, what do you think about it? How about Scholarpedia or Knol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found the Web 2.0 Our Cultural Downfall article interesting; it was also short and an easy read compared to the other papers. I was surprised the author didn't mention the term "astroturfing" (a corruption of a true "grassroots" action) under his "Caveat Emptor" section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the site recommendations. Seems there are different "competitors", and at different levels. Makes you wonder, who should be the expert at defining information and what quality information is.

    "Astroturfing" never heard that before. Very witty!

    ReplyDelete