Welcome.

Welcome to my first blog. It is being constructed for my ICS 691 course, which is an in depth look at Social Networking. I typically don't engage in this type of activity as I work, so it will be interesting learning about this stuff.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Final Project Proposal

Student: Thomas HarderInstructor:
Prof. GazanSchool: Unit. of Hawaii
Assignment: Final Project Idea

Final Project
For my Final Project I would like to do a review of the different Off-the-shelf SNS implementations. The major question would be "How do these different types of systems implemement/support different type of user roles and interactions?.

Plan
Obtain a list of different systems.
Obtain and review the literature about these system and some of the clients.
Visit and review the clients networks analyzing them for different roles and interactions, and gathering empirical data.
Write Paper.

1 comment:

  1. For your final project, are you going to list the roles you want to look for first (e.g., moderator, "friend", etc.) and then find and compare sites that have those roles? What would be interesting to find out are the reasons why some SNSs do not have social roles (or at least appear to not have them, like lifeknot, which I talked about in my blog post). Is it because the mechanisms on those websites make them hard to find, or those websites simply just don't have social roles, and why don't they have them?

    In my opinion, I don't like the idea of browsing through one's contacts' contacts on a professional SNS like LinkedIn. In junie12e's post, we both mentioned how potential employers could use the information posted against those who applied for positions with their companies. Even knowing who one's connections are could ruin that person's chances of getting a job and even his or her career. So one recommendation I would give to LinkedIn is to limit the degree/level of a person's contacts that people who are not on that person's contact list can view (e.g., employers and professional acquaintances).

    ReplyDelete